When I got married, I learned a lot of recipes from my mother-in-law that my husband loved. One of them is easy cheesy eggs. Really, it’s just fancy scrambled eggs. But they are so delicious!
You can make these for breakfast for your whole family or for yourself. This recipe is simple and easy to scale. Plus, it’s a great way to switch up the same old same old eggs and it’s easier than making quiche.
How to Make Easy Cheesy Eggs Recipe for a Crowd
The most important thing to have when making this cheesy eggs recipe is patience. [And a heavy-bottom pan.] Now let’s begin!
- Preheat a heavy bottom skillet on the stove at the lowest heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and/or bacon grease.
- Crack your desired amount of eggs into a bowl big enough to beat them. I usually do two eggs per adult and one per child. For the sake of this recipe, I’ll say 5 eggs.
- After the eggs are cracked in the bowl, beat them well with a fork or mixer.
- Dump the eggs into the preheated skillet.
- Stir with a wooden spoon or heat-safe spatula.
- Add 4 slices of cheese. My husband likes American cheese the best. I’ve used Kraft slices as well. If you purchase cheese in the skinny 8oz blocks, consider 2 of those slices as equal to 1 slice. Or sometimes I’ll just throw in a couple handfuls of grated cheese.
- Your heat should be low enough that the eggs cook very slowly. You should have plenty of time to break apart the cheese and let it melt.
- As the egg whites cook, you’ll see them turn white. Often I have lots of white streaks in my eggs indicating they are cooked.
- Remove the eggs from the pan into a heat-safe bowl when they have reached your desired consistency.
- Serve them with salt and pepper. My husband got me hooked on eating them with cayenne pepper. Or try smoked paprika.
As a rule of thumb, I add one slice of cheese per egg. Sometimes I cut back a bit, other times I don’t measure at all. As you make these more often, you’ll get a feel for what your family likes.
Cleaning Up After Making Easy Cheesy Eggs Recipe
The only thing I don’t like about making easy cheesy eggs recipe is cleaning the pan. But somebody’s gotta do it!
Right after breakfast, after the pan has had time to cool, I put the pan in my sink and fill it with water. After it soaks for a couple hours you can dump the water and scrape all the goop off with your wooden spoon or a plastic scraper like this.
Click here to learn How to Hand Wash Dishes.
Easy Cheesy Eggs
- 5 eggs
- 4 slices cheese (American or the equivelant to)
- 2 tbsp butter and/or bacon grease
Put the butter or bacon grease in a heavy bottom pan and preheat it on the lowest heat.
While the pan is heating, crack and beat 5 eggs.
After the pan is hot, pour the beaten eggs into the pan.
Add the cheese.
Continually stir as the eggs cook. Use your spoon to break up and stir in the cheese.
When the eggs have thickened and cooked, remove from the pan and serve.