You have dyed hard boiled eggs coming out your ears. Leftover ham is crammed in every corner of the fridge and you still have family in town from yesterday’s gathering who all need to be fed again today.
Enter Easter Breakfast Bake.
Growing up, this was one of my favorite breakfast bakes because it wasn’t so full of bread. It also happens to use up Easter lunch leftovers. Win!
You probably already have the eggs hard boiled but if not do this the day before and peel them so they are ready to go in the morning. Also, cook the whole potatoes the day before so they are cooled and ready to peel and shred.
- Hard boil and peel 12 eggs
- Cook 2-3 potatoes
- 3 1/2 cup cooked grated potatoes
- 12 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1-1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place butter in pan and melt over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Slowly add milk, whisking while pouring in.
- Add salt, mustard powder and nutmeg.
- Still over medium heat, continue cooking and whisking until the sauce thickens.
- After it thickens, remove from heat and add cheese. Whisk until completely melted.
- Layer in a greased 9x13 pan potatoes, eggs, ham and cheese sauce. Repeat once ending with cheese sauce on top.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until firm.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese the last 15 minutes of baking.